- 2.2 M people in the range of 25 km & 8.5 M citizens in the range of 100 km from Katowice
- 1,788 people/sq km in Katowice & 879 people/sq km – population density for Metropolis – significantly higher than the average for Poland (123 people/sq km)
- 18 universities (26 including affiliates) and 85,655 students and 22,757 graduates annually in Metropolis
- Over 90% students can speak English and over 7,500 students participate in foreign philology studies programs
- 32 different foreign languages are used in business service centers
- over 250,000 companies in Metropolis, 50,305 in Katowice where work well-educated people
- 27,500 people employed in business services sector in 116 centers BPO, SSC/GBS, IT and R&D
Potential of the Metropolis is based on over 85,600 students, including 52,476 in Katowice, studying at 18 universities. The dominant categories of studies are business & administration (alomst 18,000 students), ICT technology – broad approach (over 6,000 students) and technical & engineering subgroup (over 10,000 students). The most active Silesian universities are: Silesian University, University of Economics in Katowice, Silesian University of Technology or University of Medicine.
Fields of study
At universities, many faculties are created to educate students/graduates in faculties that respond to the needs of ITO, BPO, SSC, R&D sectors, e.g. IT with Big Data Analytics, Cloud Computing, Cyber-Physical Systems, Mobile application development, Analysis of Large Data Sets, Gaming, etc., finance and accounting, finance and accounting with Finance and Accounting for Business – in English, business logistics or philology: English, German, etc. In addition, universities carry out various types of cooperation with investors, which aims to acquire new knowledge and gain practical skills. An example of such cooperation is the Corporate Readiness Certificate educational program run since 2014, in which partners are IBM, Accenture, ING Tech Poland.
University of Silesia
University of Silesia in Katowice (US), one of the largest and most dynamically evolving Polish higher education institutions, offers innovative solutions in the field of education and a friendly space for conducting research. The education process is tailored to current market trends and responds to its demand through functioning of Faculty of Humanities, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Faculty of Science and Technology, Faculty of Social Sciences, Faculty of Law and Administration, Faculty of Arts and Educational Science, Faculty of Theology and Krzysztof Kieślowski Film School. At 79 fields of study (incl. 4 in English) and 229 specializations (incl. 14 in English) are educated over 23,000 students (in 2020). US cooperates with many companies, scientific units, business environment institutions and local governments within over 1,600 contracts, agreements, and letters of intent.